Training and Professional Development
SPOP is accredited as a continuing education provider for New York State-licensed social workers and offers trainings in person (often within the workplace) or via live webinar.
Training topics include:
- Identifying Mental Illness in Older Adults
- Working with Clients with Challenging Behaviors
- Recognizing and Working with Suicidality in Older Adults
- Loss and Bereavement
- Hiding in Plain Sight: Substance Misuse in Older Adults
We also work to build the knowledge base at the intersection of aging and mental health through virtual and in-person training for organizations and community-based organizations that serve older adults. These trainings are designed to engage staff at every level within an organization and to give them the skills to recognize symptoms, manage challenging situations, and understand when and how to make a referral. We can customize content to meet your needs; some customized trainings we have delivered recently include:
- Grief and Loss During the Pandemic
- Addressing Caregiver Distress
- Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills with Older Adults
- Working Affirmatively with LGBT Older Adults
- Person-Centered Trauma-Informed Practice
Our trainers are all clinicians with client-based experience at the intersection of aging and mental health. Our approach is informed by a deep understanding of real-world situations and the complex interplay between aging and overall well-being.